Malaysia Airlines MH370: Relatives in Beijing scuffles

Angry relatives of passengers on board the missing Malaysia Airlines plane have clashed with police outside Malaysia’s embassy in the Chinese capital, Beijing.

It came after Malaysian PM Najib Razak said a new analysis of satellite data showed the plane had ended its journey in remote seas south-west of Australia.

China has asked to see the data on which Malaysia’s conclusion was based.

The search for missing flight MH370 has been suspended because of bad weather.

A multinational search effort has focused on seas some 2,500km (1,500 miles) to the south-west of the Australian city of Perth.

Flight MH370 disappeared on 8 March as it flew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It was carrying a total of 239 people, including 153 Chinese nationals.

In Beijing, relatives of passengers on board the plane released a statement accusing the Malaysian government of trying to “delay, distort and hide the truth”.

Dozens of them then left their Beijing hotel on a protest bound for the Malaysian embassy, carrying banners asking Kuala Lumpur to be truthful with the relatives.

Police stopped their buses from leaving, so they left the buses and walked there themselves, with scuffles then erupting outside the diplomatic mission.

The protesters threw water bottles at the embassy and tried to storm the building, demanding to meet the ambassador.

There was a heavy police presence at the embassy, and there was a brief scuffle between police and a group of relatives who tried to approach journalists, according to the Associated Press news agency.

The protest in Beijing came a day after the Malaysian leader said it had to be concluded “with deep sadness and regret” that according to new data “flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean”.

Mr Najib said the conclusion the plane was lost was based on new satellite analysis by British firm Inmarsat and information from the UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB).

But Chinese Deputy Foreign Minister Xie Hangsheng issued a statement saying: “We demand the Malaysian side state the detailed evidence that leads them to this judgement, as well as supply all the relevant information and evidence about the satellite data analysis.

“The search and rescue work cannot stop now. We demand the Malaysian side continue to finish all the work including search and rescue.”

Acting Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein has revealed that the latest analysis of satellite included a final electronic signal that was still being investigated.

“There is evidence of a partial handshake between the aircraft and ground station at 0019 UTC (GMT),” he told a news conference on Tuesday. “At this time, this transmission is not understood and is subject to further ongoing work.”

He said that as a result of the latest analysis, the area of search operations had been narrowed from 2.24m sq nautical miles to 469,407 sq nautical miles, and an international working group had now been convened to try to further narrow the search area.

Operations in the “northern corridor” – one of two large areas where the plane might have ended its journey – had been completely called off to concentrate on the southern part of the “southern corridor” in the Indian Ocean west of Perth, he added.

Chinese relatives of passengers onboard the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, flight MH370, shout in protest as they march towards the Malaysia embassy in Beijing, China, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 Most of those on board the missing aircraft were Chinese. Angry relatives marched on the Malaysian embassy on Tuesday.
Grieving Chinese relatives of passengers on missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 try to remove a police barricade blocking journalists as they gather to protest outside the Malaysian embassy in Beijing on March 25, 2014 They are angry about what they see as the mishandling of the situation by Malaysia Airlines and the Malaysian government.
Royal Australia Air Force AP-3C Orion runs its engines in Perth, Australia, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 Meanwhile, a massive search operation for the plane in the Indian Ocean has been halted by poor weather conditions.

Malaysia Airlines has said it will make arrangements to fly relatives of those on board MH370 to Australia.

Australian Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said his department was working with the airline and Beijing to arrange visas.

In a BBC interview, Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya defended his company against criticism from the families, saying the situation was far from a normal aircraft tragedy.

“I think it’s unfair,” he said. “I think we’ve done all we can within our means to help them.”

‘Hazardous’ search

Planes from several nations, supported by an Australian warship, have been scouring waters far off Perth for signs of the missing plane, in a search co-ordinated by Australia.

BBC asks airline boss Ahmad Jauhari Yahya if he feels “personally responsible”

Hishammuddin Hussein: “All search efforts are now focused in the southern part of the southern corridor.”

There have been several sightings of debris, but none has yet been confirmed as being linked to the plane.

In a statement announcing the suspension of search operations on Tuesday, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) said it had undertaken a risk assessment “and determined that the current weather conditions would make any air and sea search activities hazardous and pose a risk to crew”.

Australia’s Defence Minister David Johnston said search efforts were unlikely to start again for “at least another 24 hours”.

He described the search as a “massive logistical exercise” in an “extremely remote” part of the world.

Mark Binskin, vice-chief of the Australian Defence Force, said: “We’re not searching for a needle in a haystack. We’re still trying to define where the haystack is.”

An Australian navy support vessel, Ocean Shield – equipped with US acoustic detection equipment in an attempt to detect the plane’s “black box” flight recorder – is expected to be deployed to the search zone next week.

Six Chinese ships are also being deployed to the region to assist with search operations.

Sourced by BBC News

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s